With the 2018 Odyssey, Honda has pulled out all the stops to design a next-generation vehicle that delivers all of the family-friendly features you would want in a minivan while still managing to look elegant and sophisticated. Very few other minivans manage to straddle family-friendliness and sophistication as successfully.
Take a look at what this revamped model has to offer.
While the basic styling remains largely the same as its predecessor, a few small but smart tweaks give the exterior a modern, more sophisticated look.
The most noticeable addition is the new LED headlights flanking Honda’s signature ‘flying wing’ front grille. The front fascia is sporty looking and conceals a new Active Shutter Grille that is designed for better fuel efficiency when cruising.
The lower body sides sport a slick character line in the shape of a hockey stick.
This is where the 2018 really shows off its technological prowess, with super impressive apps and advanced software. Here’s a sneak peek at what you can expect within the vehicle’s plush interiors:
- The CabinWatch is the most intriguing of its many advanced interior systems. This consists of an infrared camera that provides the driver and front-seat passenger with a good view of everything that goes on in the back of the vehicle via an 8” Display Audio screen. The infrared feature allows the driver to monitor all the backseat going-ons at night too.
- With the CabinTalk the driver can talk into a microphone and be heard via the rear speakers or headphones plugged into the rear-seat entertainment system.
- The Connected Rear Entertainment System allows 2nd and 3rd row passengers to enjoy streaming video captured via a 4G LTE Wi-Fi internet connection and displayed on a nifty 10.2-inch WSVGA Rear Entertainment System mounted on the ceiling.
- The CabinControl is a feature-filled, downloadable app that allows smart phone users to control the temperature, the navigation system and the infotainment system from their smart phones. Social Playlist, one of the features of CabinControl, works like a virtual jukebox. Family members can upload their choice of music to the audio system using their smart phones.
- The New Magic Slide™ converts the second row into a multi-configurable seating area, providing the ultimate in versatility, comfort and family-friendliness. The seats can be slid backwards for more legroom or forward to accommodate a rear-facing child safety seat. The center seat can also be removed altogether to create a large walk-through to the 3rd row seat. Pretty neat!
- With the triple-zone climate control, every row of passengers can adjust the temperature as high or as low as they want to without affecting the others.
- Soft touch dashboard surfaces and stain-resistant leather upholstery give the interior a sophisticated look while the black carpeting and black seat belts help conceal those unavoidable stains.
- The cargo space behind the third row of seats is more generous than any other vehicle in this category.
One drawback with the earlier Odyssey models was that is allowed road and wind noise into the cabin, making long trips truly tedious. With the 2018, Honda has taken care of this by adding multiple features including an Active Sound Control system, acoustic windshield, sound deadening glass, triple door seals and acoustic side window glass. The result is the peaceful sound of silence.
Under the hood is a direct injected 280-hp, 3.5-litre V-6 engine that powers the 2018 Odyssey. That’s 32 hp more than the 2017 Odyssey.
Buyers have the option of choosing from the more expensive, Honda-engineered 10-speed automatic transmission model or the standard 9-speed automatic on lower trim versions.
The snow driving mode offers enhanced traction control while driving on icy roads.
Larger and more powerful brakes, improved suspension and more responsive steering, all work together to enhance the vehicle’s ride and handling.
The Honda Sensing™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies help prevent potential collisions and protect occupants if a crash does occur.
Some of the many safety features include Adaptive Cruise Control, a lane departure prevention system, lane departure warning, lane keeping assist and forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking. Assisting these safety systems are advanced airbags and new driver and front passenger knee airbags.
With a long list of advanced features that keep your family safe and comfortable, the 2018 Odyssey could just be the best minivan that Honda has ever built. And that’s saying a lot considering Honda already has an enviable reputation in this sector.